As a first-generation student, Sandra Matz had no intention of doing a doctorate, let alone becoming a professor. Then she went to college and received a life changing scholarship.

“When I got a one-year scholarship at Cambridge University during my bachelor’s degree, I fell in love with research and the question of how we can better understand people’s daily experiences through the lens of big data,” says Matz. 32 says.

Matz eventually returned to school for a Ph.D. in psychology; While at college, a friend mentioned that she was applying for university marketing positions rather than jobs in her psychology departments. Aroused interest, Matz did the same and applied to Columbia Business School.

She got the job.

THE NINTH EDITION OF THE BEST 40 UNDER 40 BUSINESS SCHOOL PROFESSORS FROM POETS & QUANTS

“As I went through the application process and learned more about the world of B-Schools, I realized that they offer exactly what I was looking for: an intellectual home that appreciates not only great ideas and theoretical contributions, but real ones too Effect and a discussion about how to tackle current social challenges, ”says Matz. “And I honestly couldn’t have asked for a better place than CBS.

“When you look back now, it almost feels unreal how well everything worked out. I’ve found a job that I absolutely love, a city that I adore, and the most wonderful colleagues I can imagine. “

Sandra Matz, who teaches MBA students at Columbia in Managerial Negotiations and Lead: People, Teams and Organizations, is one of 40 business school professors under 40 named this year’s Poets & Quants Best 40-Under-40 Business School Professors became.

Sandra Matz from Columbia Business School is a Poets & Quants Best 40 Under 40 Business School Professor for 2021. Courtesy of photo

A DOZEN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS AND 15 WOMEN MAKE THIS YEAR’S LIST

The goal of this annual recognition remains the same for its ninth year: to identify the most talented young professors currently teaching in MBA programs around the world.

This year, our professors come from 12 schools outside of the United States and 21 schools based in the United States. About six schools – Harvard Business School, MIT Sloan, Northwestern Kellogg, NYU Stern, Wharton, and the Yale School of Management – each have two professors placed on this year’s list. There are 15 women on this year’s list, up from a dozen last year, but still fewer than the record of 16 two years ago.

This year we received more than 2,200 nominations for almost 150 professors. This corresponds to the figures of last year, when just over 2,000 nominations with around 160 professors for evaluation were received. As soon as the nomination deadline is closed, our editorial team will evaluate each nomination and professor for teaching, which is weighted with 70%, and research, which is weighted with the remaining 30%.

For teaching purposes, we take into account the nominations received – both qualitatively and quantitatively. For example, if we get a hundred or more nominations for a professor, but the nominations have little substance, they are unlikely to do as well as the professor who gets a dozen in-depth and thoughtful nominations. In doing so, we also take into account any teaching-related awards given by the professors.

For research, we consider the scope and impact of the professor’s scientific work. To this end, we examine Google Citation Numbers and the high media attention of the professor and his research. Finally, as in teaching, we look at research awards and grants that the professors have received. As the list became more and more competitive over the years, we started to consider the topics of research as well. For example, if the research goes beyond the traditional and deals with social, ecological or political issues, these professors usually get higher scores.

Once the professors are rated, we review the top 60 and consult with every editorial staff member before finalizing our top 40.

Page 1 of 4